The General Church of the New Jerusalem (founded 1897) and the Academy of the New Church (founded 1876) are a church and affiliated school system based upon the religious principles of Swedenborgianism. The Academy Movement, originally part of the Swedenborgian Church of North America (formerly the General Convention of the New Jerusalem) founded its first school in 1876 in Philadelphia, PA. The members of the Academy Movement eventually left the General Convention Church and formed(after a few other iterations) the General Church of the New Jerusalem. Today, the General Church of the New Jerusalm is the largest of the Swedenborgian churches. Although the General Church and the Academy are separate organizations, they work closely together, particularly in the area of religious instruction. Many General Church priests teach in the Academy secondary schools and Bryn Athyn College of the New Church. Both of these organizations are located or headquartered in Bryn Athyn, PA in the United States of America. These biographical and family collections are related to early and/or important persons in the growth of one or the other organizations.
Note written by Gregory Jackson